Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Twilight (and the sequels)



As many of you know, I am a very large fan of the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer and have been for a while- they were written in the very early 21st century and became almost immediately popular- they were heralded as the "New Harry Potter," if any of you know what those are. I really like the books and was happy that they are FINALLY making a holodeck program for it (really, all this time? Shame.) I also really enjoyed the author's other novel, The Host.



However.

There is a REASON they are "young ADULT" novels. (The Host is actually classified as adult). While I don't want to discourage reading at all, (it's far better than kids doing nothing or playing hologames all day) I really feel that this should be enforced. Oh, I may be a Starfleet captain, but I'm not trying to be the parent police- just adding my two ration chips. There's nothing necessarily bad in the books- Stephenie Meyer was Mormon (another Earth culture) and kept her novels clean- but they are very frightening and even a tad violent, and deal with teenage issues.

Please, encourage your children to read- but wait on these until they're older. You might try A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket (very funny and interesting) The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis, or The Tamora Pierce books- loved these dearly when I was growing up. (Also a little bit older- maybe good for 10 or 11).


A Series of Unfortunate Events


The Chronicles of Narnia



The first quartet of the Tortall books by Tamora Pierce- also try(in chronological order) The Immortals Quartet, Protector of the Small Quartet, Trickster's Choice & Trickster's Queen, and Beka Cooper(a prequel but written last).

Also try the Circle of Magic series.

1 comment:

Mum and Dad said...

I haven't read book three in the series. Maybe I will, but it's been a long time since I read the other two. I guess I am a late starter when it comes to reading. I, along with you, would encourage our young crew to read a lot instead of playing the hologram games. I have so little time left and so many books I should and would like to read. I will try to do better.

With love to you captain, thanks for the encouragement,

G. xx